Saturday, November 10, 2012 | By: Brianna

Thinking about Writing instead of Writing

So my friend, Katie, and I decided that we would do NaNoWriMo.  After years of talking about doing it, I actually committed, re-signing up on the website and keeping up a word count, and saving my day's writing and all of that.  I wrote every day except yesterday.  And, well, today too.  I'm getting horribly terrible at getting myself to write all of a sudden, and I suspect that it has to do with the fact that my "novel" has no plot.    I'm writing two different sections with characters and stuff (which is hugely specific, I'm well aware), but right now neither of those sections have a plot.  Which is mildly irritating, but I'm going to try my best to persevere.

I'm also thinking that I need to learn more things about life and stuff in order to write more better things.  Yeah, that's right, I said "more better," because that's definitely a term.  And it's awesome.
Point being, I think that I need to learn more.  I want to learn more about topics that I'm not familiar with, if only because I want to be able to go on a game show and be awesome at answering the random questions.  That, and I love being a fountain of strange knowledge, so this calls for reading.  Reading of strange sources of information and the like.  What's great is that the Internet exists, which is pretty awesome.

As for learning about life, that would just come from experiencing more of it.  Actually taking chances to explore and have fun.  Go to speakers, listen to people, go to events and places where I've never been, and the like.

More genre experimentation.  I haven't played around with genre outside of fantasy, and I think that that could be fun.

I'd also like to play around with different styles of poetry, different forms of writing.  I haven't done a lot with forms, and I think that that would be challenging.  Especially since I don't think I'm particularly good at form poetry.  I could also do more with lyric essays and non-fiction type deals.  Or maybe I could write a song.

And then I need to figure out what to do with my writing.  Do I want to rewrite everything I've ever written?  Do I want to submit them for publication?  Do I want to peddle them on street corners?  Yup.  Need to figure that out.

So there are lots of things that I need to think about with regards to my writing, and get back on track with NaNoWriMo.  So enough of the procrastination, let's get writing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment