Wednesday, October 12, 2011 | By: Brianna

Travelling

Q:  In what ways have you traveled?

A:  I feel like this question might be a little mundane, so we'll see where it takes me, and if it gets iffy, we're getting a second question.  Cool?  Cool.  Great.

Car.  Of course I've traveled by car.  Being American, and living in a city, it's a little difficult to avoid traveling by car.  Especially since a lot of the most important places (grocery stores...) we go are a car ride away as opposed to being within walking distance.  I mean, Dominick's is within walking distance of my house, but we prefer going to Jewel, don't ask me why, I have no idea.  The farthest we've driven as a family was Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania when I was in 8th grade.  It was pretty intense.  I remember driving through Ohio and thinking that though it was fairly boring, it was quite pretty!
Police car.  I was not arrested.  You figure that one out.

Airplane.  I've been to California (twice), Arizona (twice), and England/Scotland via plane.  And listing all of those out I've discovered just how much time I've spent on airplanes, which isn't as much time as I originally thought.  Strange.

Train.  I've traveled by multiple types of trains.  I've of course been on the subway/"L" in Chicago (because SURPRISE! that's where I'm from).  My mom, my brother and I used to take the train downtown to the museums when I was littler.
I've been on the Metra to get to downtown Chicago, because the blue line doesn't go to Union Station.  And that's just irritating.  The Metra is nice, it's double-deckered, and I always have to sit on the bottom level because all the business people sit on the top level and doze off.  Jealous.  They sell tickets on the train, and they're old-fashioned looking and you have to clip them to the seatback in front of you.  Then of course the conductors wander around the train in old-fashioned uniforms, which might be a little strange considering the streamlined metal exterior, but hey.
I've also been on the Amtrak, which is the nicest way to get from school to Chicago.  When I get a window seat, it's pretty much awesome.  When no one sits next to me, it's even better.  Unfortunately, that doesn't happen often enough for me to hope for it.

Bus.  City buses, suburban buses, double decker buses (in London and Scotland), and long distance buses, I've been on them all.  It's really thrilling, I know.

Boat.  I've been on small boats like a little one motor dodad, and then I've also been on a sailboat on Lake Michigan, which was spectacular.  It was a beautiful day, it was Talk Like a Pirate Day, and I got to help steer.  What could be better than that?

Horse.  I feel like this shouldn't count, because we weren't really traveling, but I still rode a horse, so...we're going to count it for now.  It was at a dude ranch.  Two, actually.  I've ridden a horse...three times.

Person.  I've hiked.  I'm a Girl Scout, there's little chance that I could get out of that one.
Piggy back rides.  There's nothing more to say about that.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but travel to go.  I travel for travel's sake.  The great affair is to move."
- Robert Louis Stevenson

0 comments:

Post a Comment