Tuesday, April 3, 2012 | By: Brianna

NaPoWriMo #3

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt had to do with writing about weddings, an epithalamium.  It's technically supposed to be a poem written to a bride on her way to her marital chamber, but I wasn't really feeling the poem to a bride, so I wrote a poem based on a wedding that I went to in November.  I was thinking about this when I was standing in the receiving line because I don't really understand why receiving lines exist.  Sure, the bride and groom should be met and congratulated, hands shaken, but what about everyone else in the wedding party?

To the Best Man in the Receiving Line
April 3, 2012


Why am I congratulating you?
You didn't get hitched,
you didn't kiss the bride,
you didn't trade rings,
and you won't get some
tonight.
Why are you in this
receiving line anyway?
I will never see you
again.  You won't
remember me.

Okay, I will congratulate
you on the cut of your tux
because that cummerbund
really shows off your waist
and your jacket is extremely flattering.
You won't remember me,
so I'm Lola.
     Wanna dance?

0 comments:

Post a Comment