Tuesday, December 6, 2011 | By: Brianna

Novel in a Month?

So this morning in my half-awake, half-asleep state, I started thinking about the possibility of my writing a "novel" or something of that magnitude over winter break.  Probably because Finals start today which means that I'm going to be spending a good amount of time pretending that it's not actually happening.

Denial is fun.

With this novel idea (ha ha...) what I'm trying to do is write it in the same way that NaNoWriMo works, but because it's going to be in December leaking into January (because that's when winter break is for Brianna...) I can't really call it NaNoWriMo.  But the idea is write a certain amount of words each day and end up with 50000 words at the end of the month, abracadabra, alakazam, you've got a novel!

My thoughts are that I need to practice my fiction.  I've been spending a lot of time on my poetry (as evidenced by Brianna's Poem-a-Day project), and I feel disgustingly uneven.  Plus if I'm going to take a fiction class next semester I should probably practice some over the break or I'll be just as rusty with my fiction as I was last spring, and then I'll run into the "let the Real Brianna write" dilemma all over again, and that would just be a nightmare.  And really depressing.  Point being, practice is needed.

My only concern is that I'm not going to come up with an idea that's remotely close to novel-worthy.  Not that I don't think that my idea would be worth writing a novel about, I'm talking bout the length.  What if my idea stops and resolves itself before I can get anywhere near a sufficient word count?  Bright side, I will have finished something and that would be new in and of itself.  (I don't finish things.  Writing things.)  Because let's face it, I'm not really worried about people not wanting to read it mostly because I probably won't try sharing it with people.  And that's mostly because it would be a rough draft and take me about an eternity to re-write and re-work the material.

I'm not even concerned about the time I would be investing, because I plan on continuing my Poem-a-Day project over the break (even though I won't have a Poem Keeper this month due to break) and I also plan on reading just about every piece of literature in sight, preferably the kind that has absolutely zero literary merit and if I try to analyze it that it falls apart in my hands.  That would be so nice.

I should make a book list.  Like now.

And then I remember Finals.  Oh right.  I have two tomorrow.  My book list can be made on Thursday.  Maybe.

---------------------------------------------------

On a slightly different note, in my Poem-a-Day project I've had people requesting that I write poems for them.  Which is flattering and nerve-wracking all at the same time.  Because once I've given someone a poem, I have to acknowledge that that version of it is done.  I can't revise it after I've given it as a gift.  Well, I can't revise that specifically printed and sent version.

Also, I'm never sure what to write.  Do they want a poem written about them?  Because that's a lot more difficult for me than one might assume...mostly because I find it difficult to write about people I know.  I always write them too perfect and then they're not really themselves but just a paper cut out version of themselves, and that's just silly.  And defeats the point of writing about them because it's not exactly a faithful representation.

So sure, I'll write a poem for you if you request it, but it may or may not send me into a bout of apprehensions based on the "roughness" of the draft or the fact that I'm writing about something that I know entirely too well.  What I'm saying is, if you're interested in getting a poem from me...topics are helpful!

"Writing is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money."
- Moliere

0 comments:

Post a Comment