Wednesday, December 7, 2011 | By: Brianna

World's End

Today's Oxford English Dictionary word of the day is "world's end."  Really.  I thought that would have been considered two separate words, but fun fact...it's not!  How cool!

There are two separate definitions of the word which won't really surprise you when I paraphrase them:
1) The end of the world.  As in The Day of Judgement.  Apocalypse (fun fact, I had to spell "apocalypse" backwards for a game once, or maybe that was "hippopotamus"...)
2) The end of the world.  As in the furthest reaches of the world.  Where the sidewalk ends, as it were.

Thanks, Google!
This is really intriguing to me because "world's end" reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.  So this word of the day is really timely because my building's staff and others are planning on watching all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on Friday.  Which is going to be super intense, but I've done it before, and it's just one extra movie, so is it really that bad?  Besides, people watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy in one sitting all the time.  And there's nothing stopping me from falling asleep mid-sentence uttered by Captain Beckett.  Or just taking a walk.

As a rule At World's End isn't my favorite Pirates movie, but it's in second place to the first one because Dead Man's Chest is too much of a cliffhanger to hold my attention for long enough.  I resent that I went to see the second movie so many times in the theatre because all it was was a gigantic cliffhanger.  I don't meant to spoil it for anyone, but nothing resolves at the end of that movie.  It's a huge set-up for number three.

Bright side, number four wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I was worried about paying for a movie ticket, but luckily it was worth it.  Even though I don't really like the female lead with Johnny Depp...not enough chemistry if you ask me.

Anyway....I'm going to go take a final.  Two, actually, so we'll see how this goes.  Ta!

Barbossa: The world used to be a bigger place.
Sparrow: World's still the same.  There's just less in it.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

0 comments:

Post a Comment