Wednesday, February 1, 2012 | By: Brianna

February 1st

Today is February 1st.
I had to check my calendar to confirm that it is indeed the beginning of the second month of 2012, but Amy Pond assures me that it's true.  (I have a Doctor Who calendar that I'm still really excited that I own...)  February.

This means that I've survived a whole month of 2012.  We all have.  I was a little concerned for a bit there, but we made it through.  That also means that I've completed the 5th month of my Poem-a-Day project.  Which is astounding when I didn't even think I'd do a second month once I started.  September was so difficult, I didn't think I'd have the energy to go on.  But I'm really glad I did.  Once I'm done with February though, I hit a milestone.  6 months of poem writing.  6 months worth of poems.  That's roughly...180 poems.  (I say roughly because on some days I wrote more than one poem, and February only has 29 days this year.)  Good grief, when I hit 200 poems...how weird will that be?

Because I've gotten this far, it becomes a question of how long I'm going to continue this project.  Do I have the energy and the stamina to continue for an entire year?  Well.  I'm going to try.  Although I realize that when I get home I'm going to have to do more than just laze around and do nothing because when I did that over winter break, my poetry was so awful.  I kid you not.  It was bad.  Because I did absolutely nothing over break aside from go to the grocery store with my mother and read and watch movies.  I didn't even make bulletin boards like I should have.  Anyway.  One year.  I'm shooting for one whole year of poetry.  We'll see how this goes.

This month (or at least for the next two weeks) people will be talking about Valentine's Day.  Which I hate.  I hate Valentine's Day.  Okay, maybe not "hate," but I do dramatically dislike it because it's all pink and frilly and cliche and full of candy.  Okay, the candy's the best part.  But that's not the point.  It's the principle of the thing.  I don't understand why people need one specific day to communicate their affection for their loved ones.  Why can't they do that daily?  Wouldn't that make it mean more?  Anyway, this leads me to believe that I should try my hand at typical romantic poetry.  I'm horrid at writing love poems, and I know because I tried.  I once wrote a love sonnet to a book.  When I had to write a love poem in my Writing Poetry class...I wrote one to a book.  (Noticing a theme here?)  So.  Because this is my 5th month of writing poetry, I'm going to set myself a challenge to write one love poem a week out of all the poems I'll be writing this month.  We'll see how this goes.

"My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red..."
- William Shakespeare, Sonnet 130

0 comments:

Post a Comment