Tuesday, February 21, 2012 | By: Brianna

Mardi Gras

Today's Mardi Gras.  Fat Tuesday.  Paczki Day.  The day before Lent starts for Catholics.



From what little I know about Mardi Gras, it's supposed to be a day full of fun so once Lent starts, you can start giving up all of the things that you said you would.  Like pop, smoking, or chocolate.  It's also a day or a long celebration that involves flashing people for these strange plastic beads that are for some reason or another desirable.  The biggest thing about Mardi Gras is the partying.  Since it's a school night, I have no intention of partying.  I also have no intention of gorging myself so I can give up food things for Lent.

Having grown up Catholic, I know about Lent.  You're not supposed to eat meat on Fridays (only fish), and you're supposed to be taking the time to reflect on the sacrifice Jesus made for you.  Or is about to make for you.  The timeline gets a little fuzzy for me there.  I know the basics about Lent, but that's about it.  I'm a horrible pseudo-Catholic.

Now is when I stop being sacrilegious.

Part of what kept this blog going back in the day was a Lenten resolution to blog every day.  I've never really liked giving up things for Lent mostly because I tend to forget about it and end up eating chocolate or ice cream or chips and then I just give up, which kinda defeats the purpose of giving it up in the first place.  So for the last couple years I've tried to use Lent to start good habits rather than stopping bad ones.  We're going to try this again.  I resolve to write a blog post every day during Lent.  That's in addition to my Poem-a-Day Project which is still ongoing until who knows when.  So.  Blog post.  One.  Every day.  I plan on returning to the roots of this blog and use it for creative writing type deals:
- random questions and responses
- reflections
- free-write
- lists
- letters to random things and people
- Poetry Friday
- maybe I'll even commit to Sunday Scribblings
- use my Pinterest "writing inspiration" board

Let's do this.

"I get a little behind during Lent, but it comes out even at Christmas."
- Frank Butler

0 comments:

Post a Comment