Tuesday, February 28, 2012 | By: Brianna

A Letter to Sleep

Dear Sleep (or Slumber or Lengthy Nap Time),

I'm really glad we're friends.  We haven't had too many difficulties during the past years, mostly because I've kind of established my bed as a place for sleeping rather than a place for doing other activities (get your mind out of the gutter).  I've been told that if you do homework or read in bed that it stimulates your brain and you won't be able to fall asleep as easily because your body's accustomed to working on intellectual things in bed, so...it won't let you fall asleep.  I don't know if this is true, but I tend to think so because Sleep, you and I get along pretty well.

Except I really don't like when you leave me right after I roll over.  This morning, I rolled over, I took the time to roll so that I was facing the only window in my little room, and my alarm went off.  You just stood up and left me in a lurch, whining under the comfort of my covers.  I really didn't want to wake up this morning.  It might have been because you and I were reunited a little later than usual, but absolutely positively did not want to wake up.

The only thing that's helping me cope with my losing you is the prospect of breakfast.  I can already smell the greasy cafeteria food breakfast delicious and my stomach's growling in anticipation.  And I can take home a muffin for tomorrow's breakfast, and maybe a banana that I can eat with peanut butter...my future prospects are looking pretty good.

But Sleep, I miss you.  A warm and cozy oblivious state in which I can dream of absolutely anything.  In fact, last night I dreamt that I was moving back into my residence hall, and I was driving a little car (backwards) into traffic.  Luckily I didn't hit anyone, so that was nice.

Sleep, can we be friends forever?  Just do me a favor.  Please don't follow me to class.  I saw you in business statistics yesterday, and it was a very near thing, we almost had that heart-to-heart conversation that I was hoping for, but I had to resist because otherwise I'm not sure how I would learn what a null hypothesis is.  (Although let's not kid ourselves, I still don't know what a null hypothesis is.)  And then you followed me to Management, which was bad, because it was warm in that classroom, and I was bored with talking about goodness only knows what...

In short, I think we're doing pretty well, so let's continue this relationship.  Although I warn you now that I may sleep with Nap Time.

Cheers,
Brianna

"Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day."
- Friedrich Nietzche

1 comments:

Rachel Hoyt said...

LOL!! Awesome letter. You have a great sense of humor. :)

Post a Comment