Friday, March 1, 2013 | By: Brianna

Day Off

Whenever I feel like death, I typically announce, "I'm dying."  Not only is this an over dramatic presentation of how I feel, but it is also a reference to one of my favorite movies of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. So needless to say the only logical and appropriate response to this announcement of my impending doom is, "You're not dying, you just can't think of anything good to do." And so far there is only one person in my life who consistently gives that correct answer, something that tells me a lot about the company I keep.

I don't particularly like comparing myself to Cameron, mostly because he doesn't possess the natural glamor of a character like Ferris. I mean really, who would willingly cast themself as Cameron? I suspect my disdain for Cameron is rooted in his directionlessness. Not only is he unwilling to pursue The Future, but he would rather hide away in bed and pretend that it's not going to find him or call him out like Ferris does. At the same time, Ferris is cavalier about The Future, but accepts a certain amount of inevitability while he also lives "in the now. In thinking about my own Future, and remembering how I always wanted to be Ferris Bueller, I'm not really sure I'm doing it right. I haven't stolen a car and gone cruising around downtown with my best friends. At the same time, I have gone on mini adventures like the day trip to House on the Rock where our toes froze. So maybe my day off is spread out further, leaving boring days in between the real adventures.

"The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good, non-specific symptom and I'm a big believer in it."
- Ferris Bueller

0 comments:

Post a Comment