Wednesday, March 21, 2012 | By: Brianna

Make-Up Post

Because I didn't write a post yesterday.  Or Monday, I figured I should write an extra post today.

Some people might notice that there are no other people in my Life as a Poet post.  There are, but they're all strangers like coffee shop workers or sandwich shop men or shoppers or hobos or street performers.  That's not to say that I want to alienate myself from people like my family and friends and loved ones, but it's this thing I do.  When I picture The Future, I don't really think about the people who will be there because those who will be I take for granted that they'll be there, and those who won't be, I don't want to think about why they won't be there.  Like my parents?  They'll be in my future, no questions asked.  But who's to say that the random person from my Shakespeare class that I'm friends with on Facebook but don't really talk to outside of class will still be in my life when I'm a poet?  Not that I would purposely want to cut them from my life, but I feel like they would be of the group that would just fade away.

And I don't want to think about that.

So I don't write people into The Future because I don't feel right fictionalizing other people's futures like I do my own.  If they're important now, they'll probably be important later.  If not, that's life, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment