Tuesday, March 6, 2012 | By: Brianna

Writer's Block

This morning I couldn't decide what to write.  I still don't really know what to write (as shown by the title of this post).

I was going to write:
- about espresso and puppies, taking a prompt from a picture pinned to a board on my Pinterest, I had this short-lived plan to write about myself as a fictional character who gives a small child a shot of espresso and tries to figure out where to get a puppy so that she can live up to the promise on the sign, but that fizzled.  Maybe it'll happen later.
- about this list I read on Flavorwire: 10 of the Most Powerful Female Characters in Literature.  I was really excited about this article because Hermione Granger and Katniss Everdeen and Lisbeth Salander are on it, as well as Jane Eyre...and I know all of those characters.  I've even heard of the ones that I haven't actually read before.  The problem here being that I didn't know what to write outside of gushing at "Oh, the cleverness of me!"  And I didn't want to brag or anything.
- about another list I read on Flavorwire, something about the most divisive characters in literature, but then I realized that the character I would have argued about would be Bella Swan from Twilight, and that's been done about eight billion times already, so not going to go there today unless I can come up with something original to say.

Why I might not be inclined to write this morning or why I'm more indecisive than usual:
- I spent the morning finishing Scott Pilgrim vs. The World instead of reading Cymbeline for my Shakespeare class, and so maybe it's a little guilt factoring in here.
- In my only class today, I'm going to get my wretched story critiqued, and I'm terrified that my classmates will like it.  Because they really shouldn't.  Trust me.
- I have a meeting today.  And I don't wanna....
- It should be Spring Break.  Right now.  Because I really want to go home.  This break is the first time my break and my brother's overlap since we were in grade school, and I'm really excited to see him.  Plus I haven't been home since January 1st.  It's been a long time without family for Brianna, and it's starting to take a toll on her sanity.  Heh.
- I can't even decide what to write for Poem-a-Day March.  This morning I wrote a poem called "Cute When You're Angry."  I may have hit a new creative low.

And Pessimistic Brianna gets sent through snail mail to Alaska, leaving Semi-Cheery Brianna to go to class this morning.  Cheers!

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say."
- Anais Nin

0 comments:

Post a Comment