Monday, April 15, 2013 | By: Brianna

Just Don't Write about It

I'm not really sure where my brain is, but when I settled down to write a poem today, I kept thinking of things and then subsequently thinking, "I probably shouldn't write about that."  Over and over again.  It might have something to do with keeping private life private and off the Internet, but I've been doing so well with the posting...and you know...yeah.  It made sense in my head, and that's all that really matters anyway.

I have my writing group tonight, so I'm taking the "Weeds" poem over there.  We'll see how the group likes it!

April 15, 2013

There are some things
you don't write poems about
like armpit hair
or how sweat between two sets
of skin sticks like half dry glue.
Not carpet fibers
woven into dense clumps
or your smell before you shower
or brush your teeth.
Not plaque and how it makes
teeth feel furry.
Not about that one time
you drove an hour
out of the way
and got lost in the ghetto,
a line of men striding
down the center of the street
in your rearview mirror
until you booked it
out of there.
Not about uncertainty
or worry
or doubt
or the way my blazer
never fit in the shoulders
because it was actually your's
until just the other day.
Not about lost loves
or cliches.

"Was not writing poetry a secret transaction, a voice answering a voice?"
- Virginia Woolf

0 comments:

Post a Comment