Monday, March 11, 2013 | By: Brianna

Solo Coffee Date

Today I took myself out on a coffee date.  To Starbucks.  Because I'm a sell out and the local coffee shop's owner kinda scares me.  At least I'm going to different Starbucks shops in the neighborhood and spreading around the love.  But I treated myself to a drink and a scone.

To be quite fair, I'm not technically alone because I brought my poetry with me.  Which might sound even more lame because there isn't a real live human sitting across this little bitty table from me.

Looking around, I think it's interesting that the majority of the people who are sitting here drinking their coffee are solo.  There are six of us, including me, who are sitting down, and they're all on their own.  This is interesting to me because I tend to think of coffee shops as kinda social places.  At least that's how the coffee shop down by school works.  I miss that place, I liked their espresso so much better than Starbucks'. That and their atmosphere is better.  And more bustling.  And more beautiful.  Alas.

It is interesting that the baristas today actually seem like they want to be here.  That they're cheery and interested in who they're giving coffee to which is something that I'm only used to when I'm at that coffee shop near school.  Oh, and people trust other people here too, which is also weird.  The man near me just stood up and left his laptop on his table.  I'm pretty sure I would never do that in a Starbucks.  Maybe I'm just paranoid.

What's also interesting to note is that I'm not a coffee person.  I only drink the coffee that can be watered down with chocolate and milk, so a mocha it is.  Still possessing the taste of coffee, but more chocolatey and delicious.  Yup, that's right.  I never really understood the logic behind buying hot water and a tea bag when it would be cheaper for me to be at home and make my own tea.  If we're talking loose specialty tea...it might be totally different.

And now I'm off to do my work which is really revising a single poem.  And perhaps apply for more jobs.  Ready?  Go!

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
- T.S. Eliot

0 comments:

Post a Comment