Wednesday, June 15, 2011 | By: Brianna

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Q:  Has anyone ever called you "perfect" before?

A:  Not that I recall.  The most common adjective that I've heard people use when describing me is "nice."  Or "happy."  Both of which illustrate the amazing creativity of the people responsible for the description because "nice" and "happy" are two of the blandest words in the English language.  When those words are used, I usually just growl inside my head and try to think of alternatives.  But then I think that I'm being self-centered or self-absorbed by thinking of positive words to describe myself.

In fact, I loathe "perfect" people.  Those people that are described as "perfect" are usually insufferable.  Maybe I'm petty, but every time I've encountered someone who's "perfect," I've hated them instantly.  Because they can't do wrong.  Everyone loves them: teachers, parents, peers, employers, etc.  And they usually get away with anything because they're "perfect."  No one expects them to do anything horrible, and chances are they won't do anything horrible.  It's safe to say that they'll make things better.  They're the people who dress up as angels for Halloween because it's an accurate portrayal of their inner selves.  Or maybe they dress up as hookers, but then they're described as "cute."  And who can ever honestly say that they've seen a "cute" hooker?  Well, if you're perfect, you probably would be one.

Q:  What are you doing today?

A:  There are a number of things that I'm supposed to do today, so I can only hope that I'll actually do them.  Today I need to write a rehearsal schedule for the fairy tale show that I'm directing so my actors know when they have to come to my house to run lines, learn blocking and do activities.  Hopefully it'll make things a lot easier for them because they actually have things to do with their lives whereas I am unemployed and a bum.

I'm also going to my local library to get some movies and music.  Just for an excuse to leave the house, considering I haven't left the house for a while.  Okay, that's not right, I left the house yesterday to buy a Father's Day present for my dad.  I should also return some of the books that I got that I probably won't read.  Like The Interrogative Mood.  Probably not this time around, but it will definitely stay on my list.

And then there's my room.  That big pile of stuff that I don't want that I need to move from that big pile to a bag or box to get ride of.  Clothes, a couple books (including Reading with Lincoln and Malone Dies), and then the gel pens that I will probably never use again.

Finally, I should get a move on reading Jane Eyre.  I've started, and I'm in a pretty good place, but I need to just commit and read instead of spending my entire day on Stumble Upon like I've been doing for the past couple of days.  Because that's my life.

"Love isn't finding a perfect person.  It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
- Sam Keen

0 comments:

Post a Comment