Thursday, August 4, 2011 | By: Brianna

I Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts...(or school)

Q:  So whatcha doin'?

A:  Unpacking.

Q:  Oh?

A:  Yeah.  I'm back at school as of yesterday, and so I'm unpacking and figuring out where all my fun decorations are going to go.

Q:  You're back at school?  Isn't it a little early for that?

A:  For normal people, yes.  But for me, not really.  I'm only a couple days early for what's normal for me.  But because I have a big and important job this year, I have to get trained for that and learn how to be important.

Last year and the year before, I had to come early to school to get trained as a Resident Assistant (RA).  So that means that I got here a full week before the first years came.  I was required to go to all these sessions in order to learn the policies and what to do in case of an emergency, how to manage my time, and meet my fellow RAs.

This year is different.  This year I'm a Residential Community Adviser (RCA).  That means that I'll be responsible for managing the hall desk, help with team-building for the RA staff, build community within the building (go figure, right?) and take on campus wide duty (which roughly translates to crisis response).  I'm one of ten, so it's a large RCA staff, and we'll see how that goes with regards to team-building.  I'm a bit nervous about stepping up into a new role in the ORL family, but obviously I got hired to this position for a reason.

Last night was my first night in my new room.  I'm in the largest first year building on campus.  6 floors of first years, and all of them empty except for my room on the 5th floor.  I could hear every creak and shift of the building, and I kept imagining that I heard voices in the hallway.  I swear I got up to make sure my door was locked about eight times before I finally drifted off to sleep.  And then this morning I got to shower in the completely empty bathroom, which meant that I had my pick of any shower I wanted.  Which was nice...until I learned that the most desirable shower (the big shower) had a droopy spout.  Commence droopy jokes now.  Needless to say, I will be finding another shower for tomorrow.

My favorite thing about my room so far is my east facing window.  I love windows that face east because I love having the sunshine in my room in the morning.  It just makes sense in my head.  Plus it makes me feel like I'm at home in my old room from last year.

There's so much to do!  I've got some major laminating to do, and posting of things all over the hall, and figuring out what the desk looks like and what I can do to make it pretty and efficient.  Though I'm overwhelmed, I feel useful at the same time.  Because even though there's a lot to do, it all seems manageable.  Which is a comforting thought.

"I gotta get back to Hogwarts,
I gotta get back to school,
I gotta get myself to Hogwarts,
where everybody thinks I'm cool..."
- A Very Potter Musical

0 comments:

Post a Comment