Thursday, August 25, 2011 | By: Brianna

Oh What a Night

Q:  Whatcha doing tonight?

A:  Homework.

Q:  Really?

A:  No.  Not really.

Tonight I'm going to a meeting for Lyrical Graffiti, the poetry organization on campus.  They organize poetry slams and open mics and they get poets to come and do shows on campus.  All around it's a pretty exciting group.  Though I've never technically gone to a meeting before.

My sophomore year, I went to nearly all of the open mics that Lyrical Graffiti sponsored, and nearly every time, one of the senior members of the group would ask if I would read something.  Shy Brianna said "No, I don't have anything to read," every time.  But at open mics for Lyrical Graffiti, they send around a notebook and everyone contributes a line to the community poem.  One night that same senior called me up to read the community poem.  Which was fabulous.  I don't remember what it was about, I just remember being terrified by the prospect of getting up and standing behind that microphone.  It wasn't until May Term, or maybe it was the very end of spring semester that I finally (willingly) got up to read a poem.  That senior introduced me as the girl who came to every open mic and who FINALLY had something to read.  That was one of the most spectacular experiences ever.

I've read my poetry aloud a bit more often, but I'm still a little shy about a couple of my poems.  And when I mean a couple, I mean one.  It's titled "Nerds Do It By the Book" and it's about (you guessed it) nerd sex.  So when I was writing it for my Stand Up Poetry class last year, I wouldn't read it aloud until the show we were required to do, and even then...I was still absolutely petrified.  And then at the writing conference at the end of the year I read it again.  So it's only been read aloud by me twice.  I've heard rumors that it's been read by other people aloud...but I haven't been there so I can give no credence to those rumors.

In short, I have a history with this organization.  Even though I've never actually been to a meeting.  We'll see how that goes.

AND I also have a brainstorming meeting for International Clue Night.  If you've ever played CLUE the board game, it's kind of like that mixed with CLUE the movie, and all in real life.  In it's simplest form, it's a murder mystery party.  This year I'm helping to write the script for the second year in a row.  I'm really excited because I had so much fun writing last year, and I'm hoping that this year I'll be able to act.  All I really have to do is write a part that's perfect for me, right?

Q:  Thanks for telling me your life's schedule.

A:  You're welcome, you asked for it.

Q:  Isn't this blog supposed to be for creative writing?  That wasn't even creative.

A:  Sure, yes, it is.  I don't have anything to say to that, really.

Q:  So I win.

A:  For now.

--------------------------Edit-----------------------------

So I fail.  I was so excited about Lyrical Graffiti that I didn't read the e-mail correctly.  It's not until next week.

"Poetry is to prose as dancing is to walking."
- John Wain

0 comments:

Post a Comment